April 14, 2011

Win a True Temper Hammer from Tool Snob!

true_temper_hammerheads.jpg

True Temper
has supplied us with three hammers to hand off to a few of our readers. Pretty nice of them, eh? We've got one hickory handle, one graphite handle, and one all-steel handle. We reviewed them here and found them to be nice and solid. We liked them.

So in order to win, we want to hear about your handle preference. Do you like wooden handles better than steel? Graphite better than both? Do you not care? Do you feel a big difference in shock absorption from one handle to the next? Drop your thoughts in the comments section of this post and we'll pick some winners in a week or two.

We fall into the all-steel camp. We use our hammers for everything but pounding nails, so durability is tantamount to us. The fact that the steel ones are a single piece of metal from stem to stern is a good thing to us.

So let us know what you think.

Read More in: Distractions | Promotions

Posted by Doug Mahoney at April 14, 2011 10:54 AM

I love steel tools

Posted by: barry at May 2, 2011 5:45 AM

Guess I'm an old fogey, I still prefer wood.

Posted by: Heidi at April 25, 2011 7:56 PM

I'll take wood handles any day. Ever grab a metal handle after it has sat overnight in January? A quick reminder to wear gloves, rather like a helmet check on a cave ceiling! Wood just feels natural, with feedback that is not too strong, nor too dampened like the fiberglass or space age stuff.

Posted by: GR at April 25, 2011 9:29 AM

I can't say I've ever thought really hard about a hammer preference. I would probably have to go with graphite because I've never tried one. Then I can look down my nose at everybody else "oh, you still use a metal handle, eh?..."

Posted by: Kevin D at April 23, 2011 4:16 PM

I love just a bare steel or fiberglass handle. If there's a rubber handle on a hammer I remove it from the hammer and sand it smooth. The reason? I put skateboard grip tape on the handle of my hammers.

Skateboard grip tape makes it so my hammers have zero slippage, even in wet/icy conditions.

I put grip tape all the way up to the head of my hammer to ensure the grip tape is secure and wont peel off.

It also doubles as a sharpening file for my old pocket knife.

Posted by: georgie at April 22, 2011 10:42 PM

I'm swinging a hammer more often than I used to - I'll take wood. Never too hot, it don't get sticky. I sand the finish off, slap some athletic tape over and under my grip. And I don't really mind replacing the handle if I miss. Works like a charm for comfort. I find if my hand is comfortable, I hit the nail more.

I try to push the same choice on my students. If a fiberglass handle or all steel hammer goes, it's a replacement hammer. With wood handles, I just get another learning opportunity in simple machines!

Posted by: Mr. Patrick at April 20, 2011 8:10 PM

Wood.

Posted by: ee at April 20, 2011 5:39 PM

I like graphite because it's all space-age and stuff.

Posted by: OJ at April 20, 2011 5:26 PM

I have steel hammers currently, and find them to be adequate. The wooden ones I had were inherited and as such had loose heads that were impossible to repair. I have never tried graphite, but certainly would not be adverse to doing so. As far as I can tell aside from weight (which is not an issue for me) there is not a compelling reason to go to graphite. I'd love to confirm or bust the graphite myth using a free hammer!

Posted by: Steven B at April 20, 2011 7:34 AM

Graphite or steel. Graphite for lightness and steel for solid feel and durability.

Posted by: DC at April 19, 2011 5:08 PM

I love wooden handled hammers, for as much as the rubber grip on all steel hammers really tears up the skin on my hands, as the feeling a wooden one gives feels so natural. I have a Stanley 22oz. Hickory handle with the overstrike plate, so if you miss there is a big chunk of metal saving your handle from getting bunged up.

Posted by: Kent at April 19, 2011 1:49 PM

I'd choose the wooden handle hands down because when I got my first real hammer at, like, six, I remember learning not just how to hold and swing it properly, but also how to attach a new wooden handle with wedges—and being "old school," I've always valued tools that will last forever—with a little care and maintenance, that is. I still have that first hammer, by the way, though without the original handle.

Posted by: James J. O'Hara at April 18, 2011 5:19 PM

STEEL!!! Every time I use a wooden handle the head goes flying off because I cant seem to hit anything with the head of a hammer, since the neck works so good. And Im too cheap to buy a fancy graphite/composite hammer, by cheap I mean my wife wont let me...

Posted by: Mike at April 18, 2011 3:47 PM

I love the fiberglass handles. I don't use a hammer often, but the lighter weight and the graphite are much better than with wood or steel.

Posted by: barry at April 18, 2011 5:54 AM

I don't really have any preference, but a steel handle hammer is always handy to use no matter the use.

Posted by: Seth at April 17, 2011 9:41 PM

I like them all. All metal estwings for repairs, light demo, framing,etc, small wooden handled hammers for finish, big hickory Vaughan california for heavy duty nail sinking, fiberglass for electrical jobs, small 16 oz plumb hammer in kitchen drawer.

Posted by: Kevin at April 15, 2011 11:59 AM

I like the graphite.its light enough to do the job i want.A wooden handle is good however it wears and stresses.i never could say i had a trusty hammer that was wood.lol.asteel handle i don't feel would be good for me.I hurt myself enough on my house and dont want to add to it.

Posted by: John at April 14, 2011 10:30 PM

I like working with wood, but most of my hammers have steel handles.
I like steak too, but don't have to cut it with a knife made out of meat!

Posted by: Lloyd Kerry at April 14, 2011 3:14 PM

Depends on the uses of the hammer. Never experienced a graphite hammer. The wooden handles I like the feel of, the steel ones seem to offer less vibration.

Posted by: David Craig at April 14, 2011 2:37 PM

Give me a fiberglass handle any day. I don't swing a hammer often, but the lighter weight and the solid connection I feel with graphite are much better than with wood or steel. Graphite tends to have less vibration and you don't have to worry about wood splinters. For fishing rods and hammer handles graphite is a good thing.

Posted by: Lyndon at April 14, 2011 1:49 PM

I love the feel of a wood handle, but a steel handle works better for me and my poor aim. Graphite is cool, but I don't know how I would like it.

Posted by: Tom at April 14, 2011 1:07 PM

Can't go wrong with the all-steel hammer. Wood handled hammers are nice too, and have their place in a tool guy's line-up. I've never used a graphite hammer - what are those best suited for?

Personally, I could use a nice wood handled hammer in my arsenal!

Posted by: Jerrick at April 14, 2011 12:39 PM

I have always preferred a steel hammer. The wooden hammers seem to vibrate through your hands once you hit something, The heads fall off.

Posted by: Ruby at April 14, 2011 8:49 AM

I fall into the all-steel camp too. I just like knowing that no matter how bad my aim is, I'm not going to damage the handle.

Posted by: Ryan at April 14, 2011 8:38 AM