October 7, 2010

Tool Snob Announces the 'When Will My Fingernail Fall Off?' Contest

smashed_finger1.jpg

Early yesterday, I managed to get my finger caught in a rapidly closing door. It happened around 9:30 in the morning (EST), so if the wind was just right and you heard a frightening barrage of swearing, that's what it was.

A good finger smash seems to be a 'once every two years' event for me. Last time I smooshed one while putting the forks on a skidsteer. Oh man, did that one ever hurt. In the battle between finger and hydraulics, finger, I discovered, never wins.

So anyway, my finger is pretty well blasted (I hit it right at the base) and my guess is that I'm going to lose the nail, but I'm not sure. So why not make it interesting? Check out the pictures and drop a comment at this post telling me when you think I'm going to lose it (or if you think it will stay on). With the skidsteer incident, it took a couple of months before the busted nail grew out.

smashed_finger2.jpg

I'm going to go with Price is Right contest rules here; 'closest to the dollar amount without going over.' So if someone guesses October 15th and someone else guesses October 19th and the nail falls off on the 18th, the guy who guessed the 15th is the winner, the other guy went over the actual date of the nail falling off. If there's a tie or more than one person says it's not going to fall off and it doesn't, then I'll just randomly pick from the winners.

Not sure about a prize for this one, but if this drags on like I think it will, I'll make it something good, something in the $100+ range. I'll probably send the winner a list to choose from.

So have at it, the finger was hit on October 6th, leave a comment and attempt to benefit from my misfortune. Good luck.

Read More in: Promotions | Safety

Posted by Doug Mahoney at October 7, 2010 5:00 AM

Hmmm well, I had one of my toenails fall off once, but that took about 4 or 5 months. Since this is a fingernail, and it's been quite awhile, I'm going to guess that it's coming off soon...January 1st?

Posted by: Julia Tang at December 28, 2010 11:58 PM

I have a similar deal with my thumb,happened 3 months ago. A new nail is growing in behind the old one which is disintegrating, it will come off, but its gonna take a while, my new nail is only about 1/4 grown so far, I think it will come off on April 20. Good Luck!

Posted by: Mike B at December 16, 2010 8:37 PM

Not coming off.

Thanks to my better half, I got my thumb stuck in a tailgate 2 weeks ago and could neither get the thumb out of the closed door or could I reach the latch. Broke the bone on top of it. I got lots of sympathy for about a day. Not worth it.

Posted by: Tom M at October 14, 2010 9:46 PM

Some one else already called thanksgiving, so I'm gonna say Christmas, and someone is gonna be real surprised to find that in their stocking.

Posted by: Radcliff at October 12, 2010 8:53 PM

That looks painful. But I think weve all been through it. Im going to say it will partially be off in three months! Good luck

Posted by: Chris Mosley at October 11, 2010 4:21 PM

Too bad you didn't show us the palm side of your hand; then, I could have read your future and given you an exact date. Actually, without reading your palm, I'd say, "Not until the next accident" (sometime in the next two years).

Posted by: James J. O'Hara at October 11, 2010 2:59 PM

Bye Bye to nail on January 11, 2011.

Posted by: Charles Struble at October 11, 2010 1:00 AM

it's going to be awhile but that section of nail is coming off, the new one will push it out.
I'm going with thanksgiving weekend at the table when passing the gravy.

Posted by: Kevin at October 9, 2010 7:24 PM

I say NOT gonna come off :)

Posted by: Cathy Meyer at October 9, 2010 3:02 PM

I don't think it will fall off. If it was me I would have used the sharpest and smallest drill bit I had and worked it by hand until the blood came out.

Posted by: John Shivers at October 8, 2010 5:52 PM

January 8th. Something will happen....

Posted by: Jayce at October 8, 2010 4:24 PM

I don't think it will fall off since the bruising doesn't extend across the entire cuticle. But if you pick at it at all I suspect that you might have a hole in the middle of your nail on Nov 20th.

Posted by: Dan at October 8, 2010 3:31 PM

December 1st

Posted by: Cole at October 8, 2010 3:11 PM

November 7th. Just come out to the STAFDA show and I'll give that nail a little friendly "encouragement" with a pair of pliers.

Posted by: Jay A at October 8, 2010 11:35 AM

I don't think the nail will fall off, but the nail should grow out by October 30th.

Posted by: Richard at October 7, 2010 9:08 PM

I'm gonna guess October 28.

Posted by: Eric at October 7, 2010 4:35 PM

One Dollar!

oh, sorry.

I mean December 1st.

Good luck

Posted by: Jon at October 7, 2010 2:02 PM

Yes, it may not look all that bad in the photos, but keep in mind it was slammed right at the base of the nail. I've had ones that looked less nasty and had the nail fall off. Also, as an update, the bruise/blood/whatever has gotten larger and darker today (day 2). We shall see.

Posted by: Tool Snob at October 7, 2010 12:58 PM

Ouch!!! I hate smashed fingers. Remind me to tell you about when an old double hung window (which had a broken balance mechanism) did a free-fall onto my thumb. Then remind me to tell you about the resulting ER visit that was slightly worse!

I'm going with the optimistic crowd and saying never. I'm also going to follow Stuart's classy lead and defer any prize winnings to another more worthy & respectable ToolSnob reader. Unless it's a Porsche, in which case I accept! Oh, and in a less classy move, I accept beer too. Of course, by not giving a date, I'm making it pretty hard to judge the winner (if it never falls off). May your finger and nail recover quickly and fully!

Posted by: Marc at October 7, 2010 12:45 PM

Well, I rolled a 5 gallon air compressor over my big toe about 6 months ago and the disgusting blacked nail is still hanging on despite being warped and gnarly looking. But a finger is smaller. I'm going to say 5 months from today: 3/7/2011

Posted by: David M at October 7, 2010 12:30 PM

Well, Doug, didn't hear the cursing in Maryland, but can conjure up an image....ouch!! Not sure if you'll lose that nail, but if it comes off, it will be in January--let's say the 10th!

Posted by: Ann at October 7, 2010 9:56 AM

They usually don't fall off when they're are only that bad. So my guess is never..

Posted by: Mike at October 7, 2010 9:09 AM

I don't think your nail will fall off, but if I had to pick a date I'd say November 11th.

(Please don't count my entry in the drawing).

If it makes you feel better, you're not the only one to have smashed a nail yesterday. I did a number on my big toe with a pallet jack, that wasn't fun.

Posted by: ToolGuyd at October 7, 2010 7:55 AM