June 5, 2009

Win a $100 Home Depot Gift Card from Tool Snob!

roulette.jpgRemember how dad stayed up all night to build your fifth grade science project? Remember how he took years off his life by teaching you how to drive? Remember when he didn't kill you after you melted all of your crayons on the radiators? It's time to repay the old man, and there's really no better way than giving him a wild spending spree at Home Depot.

The way we see it, there are a few ways to go about this. First, you could go to any Home Depot and buy a gift card. Second, you could go to the Home Depot website and order up the card. The third way, and the most rewarding with the least amount of effort, is to leave a comment at this post telling us the items you would get your pops with a $100 Home Depot gift certificate and if you're the lucky winner of the random drawing, we'll have said $100 gift certificate heading your way with plenty of time to spare for Father's Day. The gift certificate is being very generously supplied by Home Depot and they will be mailing it direct, so there won't be the ridiculous delays that happen when we mail something out.

So that's it. That's all you have to do....just leave a comment on this post telling us how you or your dad would chew through $100 at Home Depot and we'll pick a random winner in a week...next Friday (June 12th).

What would we use the certificate to buy? We're of two minds with the whole gift certificate thing. There's something that really bothers us about paying to replace our everyday tools; things like tape measures, screwdrivers, adjustable wrenches, etc. So when we get a gift certificate, our first inclination is to use it for those items. Spending $30 of our own money to replace a tape measure really irritates us for some reason. But then we start thinking about it we usually end up using gift certificates for some odd splurge, some tool that we don't have and we really don't need. But why not own a 23 gauge pinner or a RotoZip?

So help dad out and tell us what you'd get him or what you think he should get. You just might win a $100 gift certificate.

Also, if you decide to get your own Gift Card, there are three new designs. One of which looks like it's made out of duct tape and comes with a free 3/8 drill bit.

Order a Home Depot gift card here.

Read More in: Promotions

Posted by Doug Mahoney at June 5, 2009 4:48 AM

I'd start my dad on the way to a new table saw.

Posted by: Chris at June 13, 2009 1:09 AM

I don't think my father ever had $100 at any one time in his pocket to spend at a place like Home Depot. Were he still alive, he would have been thrilled.

Posted by: Rick at June 11, 2009 4:56 PM

I would purchase wood to custom make a bathroom vanity. It will be from oak, 36" wide, and look more like a free standing piece of furniture with short legs.

Posted by: Don White at June 10, 2009 8:11 PM

Repairing and fixing up parent's former home, circa 1951, over the last nearly 1.3 years, so that it can be rented. It's looking better but there are still lots of things to do and some of Home Depots supplies are useful. e.g. We are about to by several cans of the Behr Premium Plus Ultra combined primer/finish low VOC paint from a local Home Depot store.

Posted by: Milton Alvis at June 10, 2009 7:10 PM

My father is currently working on an addition to his house in the country. I'd surprise him with this $100 gift card plus volunteer myself for a week of working with him to further sweeten the deal...at least, I hope my help would sweeten it! :-)

Posted by: Bill Day at June 10, 2009 4:53 PM

As a 75-year-old grandmother, my tools are a bit archaic. It would be lovely to have some newer varieties and new bits for my Dremel tools. I need to make more planter boxes.

Posted by: Betsy Greenway at June 10, 2009 3:26 PM

I would get my dad a Scroll Saw.

Posted by: Jim Brown at June 10, 2009 2:29 PM

If my dad were still alive I would love to pay him back for all he has given me. He taught me how to use the resources that I have to build or repair anything around the house.

Posted by: tom c at June 10, 2009 1:25 PM

Dad needs wood to finish the storage shed he is building in his backyard.

Posted by: Mike C at June 10, 2009 1:14 PM

Well my kids are still a little too young to be typing on a computer but I could easily burn through $100 and then some retiling and flooring their bathroom - I know their mother wants that done and I'm sure they do too.

Posted by: DP at June 9, 2009 2:46 PM

I would spend the $100 on the mulch and supplies we need to build a retaining wall. My Dad has been working hard trying to improve the yard, but after my mom lost her job, it more labor and less supplies. He really deserves to be able to finsh up this project.

Posted by: Josh at June 9, 2009 12:20 PM

If I won the $100 Home Depot gift card, I would spend it on a Bosch random orbit sander with micro filtration.

Posted by: David E. at June 8, 2009 10:46 PM

I think i would get him a nice set of outdoor furniture. Those green plastic chairs that leave a dust on you from being in the sun for a decade have to go!

Posted by: brandoblues at June 8, 2009 5:44 PM

Some people think $100.00 isn't much but to see the look on my dad's face when he opened a card and found out he got a $100.00 gift card from The Home Depot! Well it might as well be a $1000.00 card! He just loves that place!

Posted by: Jim Williams at June 8, 2009 4:09 AM

My dad is planning on replacing his old deck this summer, so I'd get him an impact driver for driving all of those nice long screws

Posted by: Adam at June 7, 2009 1:39 PM

Daddy needs.. more woodworking clamps, of course!

Posted by: Jim at June 6, 2009 7:11 PM

Just like the article says, my dad has nice power tools, but his screwdriver set is very old and not very good. The plastic handles are not smooth and you can get cuts on your hands using them. That's one thing I would get him. He also has a thing for drill bits. I don't know how many he has, but he's always wanting more.

Posted by: Charles at June 5, 2009 7:51 PM

With a $100 HD gift card, my dad would spend an hour in the tool isle, looking high and low for new tools for this collection that would make his next project that much easier and enjoyable. Thanks Dad!

Posted by: Ryan at June 5, 2009 1:22 PM

Since I was raised by a single mum, I'd tell what I would get for myself...

1. Paint for the foreclosed house I just bought.
OR
2. a spiffy new drill for all the home improvement projects I'll be doing.
OR
3. Get one of those keycode locks for the front door so my son doesnt need a key to get in. =)

Posted by: StaceyW at June 5, 2009 12:50 PM

I'd buy my dad a chainsaw. He has no need for one, but I 'now he'd freakin' love it.

Posted by: AttorneyAdrian at June 5, 2009 12:05 PM

my dad died tragically a year and a half ago, but my father in-law has really filled the spot he left. He'd be able to burn though $100 easily as he's planning on building a large pole building.

Posted by: Joel Spangler at June 5, 2009 11:19 AM