March 23, 2009

Win a $200 Home Depot Gift Certificate From Tool Snob!

home_depot_logo.jpgWe at Tool Snob have gotten in cahoots with Home Depot in order to bring you, our readers, another contest. This time the prize is a $200 Home Depot gift card which we're sure would give a nice little boost to your planned summer projects.

One way to save money on your spring and summer renovations is to rent the tools that you need instead of buying them. Home Depot has an extensive line of rentals (more than 325 types of tools) ranging from jackhammers to cement mixers to nail guns. In the past, we've actually rented a wood chipper from them and it ended up saving us the money and hassle of getting a tree guy to come and do the work.

Entering the contest is simple. First go to the Home Depot rental page and check out all of the tools they have for rent (they have both home owner and contractor sections), then choose a tool that you might want for an upcoming project and leave a comment at this post telling us what tool you'd rent with a quick description of what project you'd use it for. Then, in two weeks, we're going to have a random drawing and one of you walks away with a $200 Home Depot gift card.

We'll be accepting entries until Sunday, April 5th. We'll announce the winner, the following day, Monday, April 6th.

To see what tools Home Depot has available for rent, go here.

Read More in: Promotions

Posted by Doug Mahoney at March 23, 2009 4:36 AM

Going to be installing baseboards and repairing cabinets so I will be interested in renting the following
Cordless Angled Finishing Nailer
PASLODE®

Safety Requirements: Always wear eye protection. See operator's manual.

* Drives 3/4" to 2-1/2 .16-guage angled finish nails
* Tool-free depth-of-drive wheel with probe indicator
* weighs 5.3 lbs with battery

Posted by: Illumination at April 6, 2009 1:01 AM

i'd rent the electric breaker and finally demo that annoying slab of concrete in the back that the previous owners had a kennel on.

Posted by: steve at April 6, 2009 12:27 AM

I would rent a 20" Gas Chainsaw. I have a tree that will probably not make it through the summer. It would be nice to cut it down (maybe make some turning blanks) and make use of the space for something else.

Posted by: JohnQ at April 6, 2009 12:17 AM

I'd rent the compound miter saw. My father and I used his miter saw to quickly cut moulding for around the windows and the floor. Adding moulding around the windows really spruced up my parents home and I'd love to do the same for mine, and this is definitely to tool for the job.

Posted by: Chris at April 5, 2009 10:34 PM

I'd rent a hardwood flooring stapler as I just sent the flooring crew "home".

Posted by: Dan at April 5, 2009 9:56 PM

Drywall lift! I'm getting ready to do some ceilings, and my current drywall lift is not enthused about helping me any more.

Posted by: Jim at April 5, 2009 3:05 PM

I would rent the Wood Floor Edger, so that I could get rid of the big bump left in our wood floor by a previous contractor.

Posted by: mark at April 5, 2009 2:17 PM

Posted by: mark at April 5, 2009 2:04 PM

I think I'd check out the 5,000 RPM compound miter saw because I believe I could use that to install crown molding.

And btw, today is my birthday!

Posted by: linda at April 4, 2009 2:48 PM

Carpet cleaner my carpet need help.

Posted by: sunchicka at April 4, 2009 12:45 AM

The Bluebird 4 hp lawn aerator sounds like a deal to help save some water and get some fertilizer down to the roots. Besides Home Depot is closer by 12 miles round trip which gives me more time to aerate.

Posted by: RHFJR at March 30, 2009 11:26 AM

I think the 2 man post hole digger looks like what I would need to fence in part of our yard. However, part of our yard is some sort of solid rock, not granite or anything, more like sandstone or something, but rock none the less, so I am seriously considering renting something like the electric breaker to 'dig' holes in that part of the yard.

Posted by: BG at March 29, 2009 6:01 AM

the miter saw for a hardwood floor i'm planning on laying down.

Posted by: Alok Kumar at March 29, 2009 2:37 AM

That plate compactor would go a long way towards making my paver pathway and patio this spring.

Posted by: Al at March 28, 2009 12:20 PM

I could use the 2000 psi pressure washer to start rehabilitation of my small decks. Also, I live in a pine forest, which means I get dusted by pine pollen about this time every year. The facades of the house and garage could use power washing as well.

Posted by: Douglas Havens at March 27, 2009 1:33 PM

I'd rent the hand held post hole digger. I've got a metal guard rail on the side of my alley that's falling over cause all the posts are rotted out. I'd use it to dig new holes to sink some 8x8 posts set in concrete to hold up the heavy metal guard rail.

Posted by: Deeps at March 24, 2009 11:29 PM

Electric Breaker
Makita®

Safety Requirements: Always wear eye, ear and foot protection, safety helmet and safety gloves. Vibration caution: equipment should not be used continuously for long periods. See operator's manual.
Breaks up concrete slabs, floors, sidewalks and driveways
1,100 Blows / Min (BPM)
Easy to operate switch for operator comfort and control
Lowest noise level in its class at only 107 db.

This is the firts tool i need to start my project on removing our square pathway. to make a curvy one. to make it look more appeling.

Posted by: Jorge Fossi at March 24, 2009 2:17 PM

The Two Man Hole Digger looks like just the ticket to set posts for that new fence I need to build. Old posts all rotten out and aren't going to last much longer.

Posted by: DP at March 24, 2009 12:10 PM

I just got done doing a massive overhaul of the down stairs, put in new floors.
I started ripping up carpet on the upstairs, revealed some pine floor that is in decent shape. I would rent the clarke wood floor edger to fix up the hallway floor.

Posted by: KEVIN at March 23, 2009 11:54 PM

I would rent the Vibratory Plate Compactor and compact some crushed stone in my barnyard... it just keeps getting too muddy in there.

Posted by: joel at March 23, 2009 3:32 PM

I'd rent the ditch witch trenceher. I'm going to need to run some electrical cables and a telephone line soon.

Posted by: Scott Serafin at March 23, 2009 2:33 PM

Probably the 32-foot ladder. I live in a row house and have no space to store one, but I need to do some exterior work (repointing brick, removing paint) this spring.

Posted by: Dan at March 23, 2009 1:07 PM

I'd rent the trencher. I have to install a french drain system to take care of some serious flooding in my yard. My neighbor's driveway is about 4" above my grade and all of their water drains straight into my yard. I'll have to install about 200' of drain tile, and plan on going down to about 24" to collect as much water as possible.

Posted by: Peter at March 23, 2009 11:50 AM

16 HP PRODIGY
MULTI-PURPOSE VEHICLE

I need to grade a drive, put in a garden, plant some fruit trees, perfect.

Posted by: Jerold Farver, Sr. at March 23, 2009 11:33 AM

Sounds like a great promotion!

I would rent the 2000psi pressure washer. Spring just started, and it's about time to clean and brighten up the siding.

Posted by: ToolGuyd at March 23, 2009 9:50 AM

I think I could use a rear tine tiller for the weekend to get that rogue garden started in the empty lot next door.

Posted by: Joe Sainz at March 23, 2009 9:20 AM